Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Motion Tracking in After Effects

For this first video I tracked the basketball that the kid was playing with. The color stood out fairly well so it was a particularly easy capture with the need to adjust the tracking point a few times. Once the motion path was approved I placed a lens flare onto that layer. In the motion tracking window I selected the lens flare as the target of the motion path and voila the lens flare was attached to the movement of the ball. This kid will definitely be prepared for the 2059 olympics when we play in outer-space.


Kid Playing with the Lens Flare Basketball from Caitlin Lundin on Vimeo.


For the second video I wanted to play with tracking an image using corner pins to match up a square image with a video of a square object. The video is fairly shaky so the corner trackers had plenty to match up with.


Motion Tracking Dog Billboard from Caitlin Lundin on Vimeo.

Three of the four had little trouble with the location of the track, but the bottom right had more trouble. It was hard to make the hand tracked corner look as smooth as the others, so I tried to cover it up with a stock photo of a tree. I adjusted the photo in photoshop in order to match the tone and contrast with the video better. When I brought the still image into After Effects I put a grain filter over it and match a gray grain to the rest of the video. I parented the still tree to a null object that I had made the target of the motion path. The tree flails awkwardly in the wrong direction. I think this could be fixed with maybe having two corner pin motion tracks for the tree to follow. That may smooth out the movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment