Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Building in Maya

I wanted to  created a scene using the techniques of extruding, lofting, revolving and planing, so I looked up a fairly simple building sketch online to sort of follow.
Here is the original sketch.
I chose it because the isometric view of the building could help me get a grasp of what its different sides looked like.
Here is the recreation I made in Maya.
Front View
Side View





There are obviously some differences between the two but I wanted to focus on building the shapes and getting the feel right as opposed to exactly capturing the sketch. In a future endeavor I will more closely follow the original sketch. 

The columns are a curve that was rotated around the y-axis. The window panes are NURBS squares that were laid within one another and then the whole thing was planed in order to leave the panes empty and create a frame around them. A further framed it with cubes to fit just to make the windows stand out more. The curved windows in the upper center portion of the facade were created by extruding a tube out from a circle that I altered to fit the design I wanted. 

I have to admit that I could not find a reasonable use of a loft on such a square building like this so I made a flower to put out in front of the building. 
So Pretty


The Flower From Behind
The flower was created by lofting several wavy curves and then flipping it so that the bottom was visible. This is the underside. I did some further adjustments in order to give the petals some depth. The stem from the flower is a circle that has been extruded back on a funky curve. The design of the line that it was extruded from was further altered to work with the stem look. 

I hope to in the future add some texture and color to my building and build a scene around it. 

1 comment:

  1. Cool. Working from pictures of an Austin building would also be interesting.

    ReplyDelete