Thursday, October 28, 2010

Lighting the 3-D Model

After building and texturing my 3-D model the next natural step was to light this girl up. I created an ocean sphere to place my scene inside of. My idea was for my ship to be exploring the depths of the ocean. I thought to put a light on the bottom of the ship that was focusing on a coral reef. I attached a spot light to the bottom of the ship and aimed it at the coral which gave it a long light cast and shadow. I added the shadow in the lighting attribute window. I also tinted this light a slight green color to continue with the look of the ocean. The other light in the scene is an ambient light above the ship that had it's intensity lowered and colored a darker ocean blue. I wanted this light to be able to show what was going on in the scene but not take away from the visual pull of the spot light. The hub on top of the ship doesn't have any specific light on it giving it that glowing look. The glow was applied through a blinn texture that was added to it. I want to make some particles in the scene to make it look more underwater and so that the light has something to catch on to show the beam a little more.

From behind the coral so you can see how good it is

That's some huge coral

That's a spooky shadow

No comments:

Post a Comment